All That Jazz!

Welcome. Ladies and Gentlemen, you are about to see a story of murder, greed, corruption, violence, exploitation, adultery, and treachery - all those things we all hold near and dear to our hearts. Thank you.
That was the overture to Chicago: the Musical. It summarised the story nicely, but it was all that and more - there were amazing dances, great jazz music and powerful vocals.

I first watched the movie when it came out in 2002. I was transported to another time and was in awe of the performances of Catherine Zeta-Jones, Renée Zellweger and Richard Gere. The movie went on to receive countless nominations and won six Academy Awards, including Best Picture. I bought the soundtrack and kept listening to the songs over and over again. Since then, I have watched the movie many times!

When I was in New York in 2008 for a few days, I couldn't resist watching Chicago on Broadway. It was shown in the Ambassador Theater. Though tired after a day of walking around New York, I thoroughly enjoyed the musical. It was similar yet different from the movie. It did not have the grandeur that was only achievable in the movie. The simple set and the minimalist costume ensured that the music, story and casts remained the main attraction.

{ Taken in Oct 2008 in Broadway, New York }

So, when the musical came to Esplanade Theatre, Singapore, I decided to watch it again. I just came back from the show, and I still absolutely love it! The music and songs were still catchy, the dances were amazing and the story line was still intriguing.

Of all the musical, plays, theatre, dances and movies that I've watched, Chicago still remained my favourite! And my favourite song from Chicago would definitely be All That Jazz!


Popular posts from this blog

Where would I go after this pandemic?

Statues of naked men

Central Vietnam with Children