Movie: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief


I have to admit that I do not know much about Greek mythology. I had a brief encounter during my holiday in Antalya, Turkey when I learnt a little about it, which I briefly noted about it here. While I know that the whole mythology was regarded as a myth, I wonder if there are any elements of truth in it.

Regardless of whether it was all a myth or it evolved from something real, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was quite an entertaining movie. It reminded me of the Harry Potter movie series but to tell you the truth, I am not sure if it would become as big as the Harry Potter franchise.

One main thing I noted about the movie was how unashamedly American the movie was. For examples:
  • Why would so many gods, demigods and other Greek monsters be located in America?
  • Why is Camp Half-Blood, a training camp for demigods, be situated in America?
  • Why would the entrance to the underworld be in Hollywood?
  • Why would the entrance to Olympus be on top of the Empire State Building?
For the sake of American children who read the book and loved the movie, I hope that somebody told them that America is not the centre of the universe and that the world is a much bigger place than America alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Where would I go after this pandemic?

Statues of naked men

Central Vietnam with Children